I made up this recipe for vegan peppermint bark last year when I wanted a quick and easy holiday treat that was free from everything my family couldn’t eat. I got exactly what I wanted too. This recipe is super quick, only three ingredients and tastes downright yummy!
Vegan Peppermint Bark: Ingredients
The only three ingredients you’ll need for this recipe are dark chocolate, crushed up candy canes and peppermint extract. That’s it!
My favorite brand of chocolate is Enjoy Life. The candy canes should say “suitable for vegetarians/vegans” on it since one of the ingredients is natural flavors (which we know, scarily, can be literally anything). Peppermint extract is common enough to find at the grocery store.
You’ll need parchment paper, a baking sheet (preferably jelly roll size 10″x15″, but larger is fine) and a rubber spatula.
Also a bowl and spoon to melt the chocolate.
Vegan Peppermint Bark: Directions
First is melting the chocolate. Put chocolate chips into a glass or microwavable bowl. Microwave them at 30 second intervals, mixing in between each time to ensure the chocolate is melting evenly. You should only need to microwave it for about a minute or a minute and thirty seconds total. Do NOT overheat, otherwise your chocolate might seize.
Next, mix in the peppermint extract and half of the crushed candy canes. Taste your chocolate to make sure it doesn’t need more peppermint.
Then spread the melted chocolate mixture on your baking sheet with parchment paper to the desired thickness. Sprinkle the rest of the candy canes on top.
Let the chocolate harden for at least an hour. Then break up into random bits and shards to make it look like bark and enjoy!
Simpler is usually better in my opinion especially when it comes to plant based recipes. I love that this holiday treat comes together so quickly giving you other time to do everything else you need to during the holidays!
Vegan Peppermint Bark
- 1 9oz Bag Semi Sweet Dairy Free Chocolate Chips
- 2 Candy Canes (Vegan Friendly), crushed
- 1-2 tsp Peppermint Extract
- Melt the bag of chocolate chips in either a double boiler or in a large microwave safe bowl in 30-second intervals (mixing in between each).
- Once the chocolate is melted, mix in 1 tsp of the peppermint extract. Taste the chocolate. If it's not peppermint-y enough for you, add another teaspoon.
- Put the candy canes in a plastic bag and crush them into small pieces by hitting them with a big spoon on the counter.
- Mix half the crushed candy canes into the melted chocolate.
- Line a jelly roll pan or cookie sheet with parchment paper. Spread the melted chocolate onto the pan with a half inch of space left around the sides. (If using cookie sheet, you'll only be spreading the chocolate on half the pan.) The rectangle of chocolate should be about 10" x 8".
- Sprinkle the rest of the crushed candy cane on top of the chocolate. Let the chocolate harden, then break up into shards. Enjoy!
Never miss a post! Sign up for my newsletter and receive a free 14-page ebook: