These tea cookies are delicate and delicious, perfect for dipping in your afternoon tea! Also great for tea parties. It gets even better, they are also vegan, gluten and refined sugar free! Please don’t let that fool you though because they are so yummy, my family ate every last one when I made them.
*Note: This post contains affiliated links from which I will earn a small kickback. Thank you for your support!*
These cookies got their start actually as the holiday sugar cookies I posted a couple years ago for Christmas. I changed them up for the tea party I just had and wallah, the birth of the tea cookie!
All I did really was add coconut sugar instead of regular sugar (which turned them brown), and cut them out with these cute tea pot cookie cutters.
Tea Cookies Ingredients
The ingredients are pretty simple. The only possibly far out one is the coconut flour, but if you’re a vegan baker you might have it.
- Vegan Butter
- Coconut Sugar
- Vanilla Extract
- Almond Extract
- Almond Flour
- Coconut Flour
- Arrowroot Powder
- Baking Soda
- Coconut Milk
How to make the Tea Cookies
First you will beat together the vegan butter and coconut sugar. Add in the extracts. Then in a separate bowl mix together all your dry ingredients. Combine them with the butter mixture. Add in your coconut milk 2 tbsp at a time until it’s incorporated.
It should be a formable dough, but it’s definitely going to be a little wet. To get it to be a little stiffer, wrap it in siran wrap and put it in the refrigerator for 30 minutes.
After it’s refrigerate the tea cookie dough can be rolled out. I roll it out on parchment paper and mine was wet enough where it wasn’t even sticking to my rolling pin.
Use your cookie cutters to cut out the shapes you want and put them on a baking sheet with parchment paper. Cook until they start getting a darker brown color, about 10 minutes.
I have a cute tea party post coming out this week with a free canva tea menu template!! Don’t miss it!
Please Comment and Share!
As always, let me know what you think in the comments with a rating and review. I would love to hear your feedback and your comments help other people to see my blog so thank you! Tag me on social media too @withlovemelissashop.
Take a look at my shop page. I have a whole range of instant downloads and merchandise, so there’s something for everyone.
Look at other ways you can support me that are not monetary related here. Any way you can support me means the world because it allows me to do what I love!
Tea Cookies (Vegan, Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free)
- Tea Pot Cookie Cutter
- 4 Tbsp Vegan Butter
- 8 Tbsp Coconut Sugar
- ½ Tsp Vanilla Extract
- ½ Tsp Almond Extract
- 1 Cup Almond Flour
- ¼ Cup Coconut Flour
- 1 Tbsp Arrowroot Powder
- ½ Tsp Baking Soda
- Pinch of Salt
- 4 Tbsp Light Coconut Milk
- In a large bowl, beat together the butter and sugar. Add in the vanilla and almond extracts and beat for another minute. Set aside.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the almond flour, coconut flour, arrowroot powder, baking soda, and salt. Mix the dry ingredients into the butter mixture. Then beat in the coconut milk last. Form the dough into a disc and refrigerate for 30 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 350°F. Roll out your dough on parchment paper until it's about ¼" to ½" thick. Using cookie cutters, cut out the shapes that you want. Then with the help of a spatula or bench scraper, pick out the extra pieces and gently lift your cookies and place onto a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Bake for about 10 minutes, until just browned. Let cool on the baking sheet. Serve with some hot tea!
- Store in the freezer for up to 3 months. You can take them directly out of the freezer and serve them. They do not get hard!