Where are all my chocolate lovers?! This amazing chocolate oreo trifle is filled to the brim with chocolatey, creamy flavors and has a little extra crunch from crushed up Oreos. The best part? It can be thrown together in less than an hour, semi-homemade style. It’s also dairy-free, and can be made gluten-free and vegan depending on your dietary preferences.
This semi-homemade chocolate oreo trifle is a must have for everyone who wants a mind blowing throw-it-together dessert for special occasions.
Prepare the Layers
There are four different layers to this trifle:
- Chocolate Cake
- Chocolate Pudding
- Whipped Cream
Chocolate Cake: You can use a store bought mix to save time, but I think what will really ramp up the flavor is my chocolate cake recipe. Just halve the recipe to make one 9-Inch round or 9×13 Inch cake. If you want to modify this to be gluten free, you just have to replace the flour with a gluten-free flour blend. I would recommend Pamela’s. For the vegan option, you just have to replace the eggs with 2/3 cup applesauce. The cooked chocolate cake then needs to be broken up into medium sized pieces. I do this by hand.
Chocolate Pudding: I like to use a chocolate pudding mix I found at Whole Foods. I use full-fat coconut milk to make it and it comes out just like a dairy pudding would. Prepare the pudding according to the box, and give it some time to chill in the refrigerator. This particular mix says you can add an egg yolk for extra creaminess, but I omit the egg.
Whipped Cream: My favorite dairy-free whipped cream brand is So Delicious CocoWhip. It’s best dairy-free whipped cream I’ve ever eaten. It’s also certified vegan. I cannot rave enough about it. I found this first at Whole Foods, but it’s also available at Stop & Shop. You might want to leave this out on the counter for about 10 minutes before you assemble the trifle to make it easier to spread.
Oreos: Oreos are surprisingly a dairy-free and vegan product. If you want gluten-free, you can use gluten-free oreos or find a gluten-free oreo type cookie like any of the brands in this article. Just put all the oreos in a gallon ziploc and hit them with a big spoon until they are all crumbly. I’m sure kids would love to help out with this.
Assembly is the quickest part and it’s the most fun. So if you need some helping hands, kids would love this. Just make sure they don’t eat all the ingredients before they make it into the trifle!
You’ll need a large bowl or a trifle dish to assemble this dessert in. I bought a trifle dish just to make this dessert because who doesn’t want to see all those yummy layers?
- Cake: Put half of the cake crumbles spread out in the bottom of the dish.
- Pudding: Put half of the pudding over the cake crumbles.
- Oreos: Sprinkle half of the crumbled oreos onto the pudding.
- Whipped Cream: Spread one whole 9oz container of whipped cream on top of the oreo layer.
- Repeat with the second half of each layer.
- Put a few leftover oreo crumbles on top to garnish.
This is one of the easiest recipes I keep on hand and also one of my absolute favorites. It’s definitely a crowd pleaser and a tummy pleaser. Try this semi-homemade chocolate oreo trifle yourself and you’ll see why pretty quick!
When you make this please make sure to leave a rating and review in the comments! It really helps other people to see my blog and to help it grow and I love hearing your feedback. Thank you 🙂
Try gluten free Chocolate Lava Cakes for Two next!
- Mindfulness: Live in the Present Moment!
- Books About Books for Book Lovers
- Easy DIY Aromatherapy Stress Ball
- Chocolate Birthday Cake (with gluten free and vegan options!)
- Easy Cookie in a Cup (Vegan option!)
- Holiday Sugar Cookies (vegan and gluten free!)
- No Bake Peanut Butter Bars (vegan and gluten free!)
Chocolate Oreo Trifle (Gluten Free & Vegan Options!)
- Trifle Dish
- 1 9x13 Inch Chocolate Cake (recipe linked above)
- 2 3.9 Oz Instant Chocolate Pudding Mixes
- 4 Cups Classic Coconut Milk
- 2 9 Oz Containers Dairy-Free Whipped Cream (CocoWhip)
- 1 Package Oreos
- If not done already, make the chocolate cake and let cool. Crumble up with hands into medium sized pieces.
- Pour coconut milk into a large bowl and whisk in pudding mix until combined. Put siran wrap on top of the pudding so a skin doesn't form and let chill in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Pour all the oreos into a large gallon ziploc bag and crush with a large spoon.
- Take out trifle dish. Spread half of the cake crumbles onto the bottom of the dish. Spread half the pudding over the cake crumbles. Sprinkle half the crushed oreos on top of the pudding. Then spread 1 container of whipped cream on top of the oreos.
- Repeat the previous step one more time: cake, pudding, oreos, and whipped cream. Save a few bits of oreos and sprinkle on top of the final whipped cream layer. Store in the fridge.
Never miss a post! Sign up for my newsletter and receive a free 14-page ebook: