This rustic blueberry galette is a simple yet delicious dessert, perfect for the summer with it’s vibrant fruity taste. I’ve had the idea for a while and never actually made a galette before so it was fun to try something new. I made a mini one too, so this is a great little summer dessert for two.
I add a pinch of cinnamon, nutmeg and lemon zest to really bring out the blueberry flavor and it works beautifully.
What's a Galette?
A galette is basically a pie without the pie dish. You use a shortcrust pastry like you would for a normal pie crust. Since it doesn’t have the pie dish to lean on, you just fold the crust around the filling. I think they look really pretty and rustic.
Galette is actually a french term. If you’ve heard of a Crostata, which is the italian term, it’s the same thing. I learned that you can use these terms interchangeably from Manon LaGreve who was a contestant on the Great British Baking Show. I love her! Check out her instagram and blog.
Make the Crust
The crust is a simple shortcrust pastry. I add an egg yolk in to my dough to enrich it a little bit more. The ingredients for the crust are just flour, butter, water and the egg yolk.
You start with the flour and cubed up butter in a bowl and with your hands, you just smush the butter into the flour. As you continue to smush it in with your hands, the flour and butter will be crumbly. Leave a few bits of butter in there, that gives a more tender pie crust.
Then just add a couple of tablespoons of water and combine it into a ball. If it’s all not sticking add another tablespoon of water at a time until it sticks together. Then separate it into two discs and wrap in siran wrap. Refrigerate it for twenty minutes. This helps the butter solidify again and makes sure the crust isn’t too mushy.
You will have leftover crust left! You can use it to make something else or another galette.
Make the Filling
The filling is super easy, you just have to throw it together. Gather your ingredients:
- Arrowroot Powder
- Lemon Zest
In a medium sized bowl, you just have to mix everything together. That’s it!
Arrowroot powder is a common thickener used as an alternative to cornstarch. If you don’t have it or don’t want to use it, you can use cornstarch instead.
Assemble Blueberry Galette
Take one disc of crust out of the refrigerator and lay it on a lightly floured surface. Roll it out in as much of a circle shape as you can. To make neater edges you can cut out a 9-10″ circle after you roll it out.
*Tip: After rolling it out once or twice, move the dough and reflour the surface so it doesn’t stick. Then just keep moving it after a few rolls to make sure it doesn’t stick.
Put all the blueberry filling right in the middle leaving about a 2″ border all around. Then fold the crust around the filling. Brush the crust with an egg white and then sprinkle sugar on the crust. This is will make it sweet and crunchy.
You might want to assemble this on the baking sheet, instead of trying to move the whole thing over onto the baking sheet to cook.
Bake until it’s golden brown and then eat your blueberry galette!
I think this is the perfect summer dessert. Fruit are meant to be eaten in summer and this blueberry galette is the perfect combination of tart and sweet. A good accompaniment may be a scoop of vanilla ice cream or whipped cream. Yum!
As always, let me know what you think in the comments with a rating and review. I would love to hear your feedback and your comments help other people to see my blog so thank you. Tag me on social media too @withlovemelissashop.
Take a look at my shop page to see all the lovely things I sell. I have a whole range of instant downloads and merchandise, so there’s something for everyone.
Look at other ways you can support me that are not monetary related here. Any way you can support me means the world because it allows me to do what I love!
Blueberry Galette for Two
- 1 Egg White**
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Pint Blueberries
- Pinch of Cinnamon
- Pinch of Nutmeg
- Pinch of Salt
- ½ Tsp Lemon Zest
- ¼ Tsp Vanilla Extract
- 2 Tbsp Sugar
- 1.5 Tbsp Arrowroot Powder
- 1¼ Cup All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Stick Dairy Free Butter, cubed
- 4-6 Tbsp Ice Cold Water
- In a large bowl, put the flour, and cubed butter for the crust. Use your hands to smush the butter into the flour. Incorporate some and leave some small flakes visible. Then add 2 tbsp of water and start to gather the flour into a ball of dough. If you need more water, add it 1 tbsp at a time. Once it's gathered into a ball, separate into two discs and wrap them in siran wrap. Refrigerate for 20 minutes.
- In another large bowl, mix blueberries, butter, cinnamon, nutmeg, lemon zest, vanilla, sugar, salt, and cornstarch.
- Preheat oven to 350°F. Roll out one disc of crust dough on a lightly floured surface. Try and roll it out into a circle that's about ⅛" thick. Then cut out a 9-10" circle. Keep the remainder dough and chuck it. Put the circle on a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Then put filling into the middle of the circle leaving a 2" border. Fold the crust over the filling. Brush the crust with an egg white, then sprinkle sugar onto the crust.
- Bake for 20-30 minutes until the crust is golden brown. Let cool a few minutes before attempting to move onto a plate. Enjoy!