It’s always good to have a few good soups in rotation for the winter on those especially cold days. This hearty mushroom lentil soup is sure to warm you up and fill you up!
This recipe is adapted from an old cookbook my mom has, What to Eat When You Can’t Eat Anything. We call it yum yum soup because it is so darn yummy!
Mushroom Lentil Soup: Ingredients
With only 10 ingredients, you won’t have to pull your whole pantry out for this one. Most ingredients, you might already have on hand too!
- Red or Golden Lentils
- Low-Sodium Vegetable Stock
- Baby Bella Mushrooms
- Olive Oil
- Salt & Pepper
Soups are so versatile too. After you learn this recipe, you can always modify it yourself! Add more veggies like yukon potatoes, sweet potatos, different kinds of mushrooms…have fun with it!
This soup does require a few different pots on your oven at the same time, but it all comes together pretty quickly. I usually have it done in an hour tops.
With my husband chopping the veggies for me, I can get it done even faster, so recruit some family members to help you.
Mushroom Lentil Soup: Directions
First prep all your ingredients. Chop the veggies and herbs. Separate the ingredients that need to be separated. Measure out the stock.
In a large pot, saute the onions, garlic, and larger portion of carrots with some olive or avocado oil. Then add the fresh rosemary, parsley, lentils and stock to the pot and bring to a boil. Once it’s boiling, reduce the heat to low and let it simmer for 25 minutes.
Now while the soup is simmering, you have to boil some more lentils in a small pot and saute mushrooms and carrots in a pan with some fresh rosemary. These will go into your soup after it’s blended together.
When the soup is done simmering, blend it together with an immersion blender. Then pour in the extra lentils, carrots and mushrooms.
Taste it! Add more herbs if you want more of that flavor coming through. I myself like a lot of fresh cracked black pepepr in it. If the soup is too thick, you could always add some more stock (heat it up first).
As always, let me know what you think in the comments! I would love to hear your feedback and your rating and review help other people to see my blog. Tag me on social media too @withlovemelissashop!
Mushroom Lentil Soup
- 1 Large Onion, chopped
- 4+2 Medium Carrots, chopped & separated
- 3 Cloves Garlic, minced
- 2 Tbsp + 2 Tsp Fresh Rosemary, chopped & separated
- 2 Tbsp Fresh Parsley, chopped
- 1 Cup + ½ Cup Red or Golden Lentils, separated
- 6-8 Cups Low-Sodium Vegetable Stock
- 8 Oz Baby Bella Mushrooms, coarsely chopped
- 1-2 Tbso Olive or Avocado Oil
- Salt & Pepper
- *Optional Chopped Parsley for Garnish
- Put a large pot on low to medium heat with olive oil. Add chopped onion, carrots (4), and minced garlic. Saute about 10 minutes, stirring frequently.
- Add fresh rosemary (2 tbsp), parsley, and lentils (1 cup). Add 6 cups of stock. Bring to a boil, then reduce to low and simmer about 20-25 minutes.
- While the soup is simmering, fill a small pot with water about halfway and bring to a boil. Add lentils and boil for about 20 minutes. Test to see if they are soft. Drain through a colander to get rid of the water and set aside.
- In a large skillet saute chopped carrots for about 5 minutes. Then add chopped mushrooms and saute another 5 minutes until mushrooms are browned slightly. Add rosemary (2 tsp) and take off heat. Set aside.
- Once soup is done simmering blend together in pot with an immersion blender until it is mostly smooth (or scoop into a normal blender). Add sauteed veggies and cooked lentils and mix together.
- Add salt and pepper to taste and some more rosemary or parsley, if you think it needs some more herbs. If the soup is too thick for you, you can heat the leftover stock on the stove or in the microwave, then add until the consistency is to your liking.
- Garnish with fresh parsley and cracked pepper. Enjoy with a plant-based grilled cheese.
Never miss a post! Sign up for my newsletter and receive a free 14-page ebook: