My husband and I love Indian food. We especially love naan bread when we eat out, so I decided to try and make some naan at home.
I got the idea of course, from the Great British Baking Show, my endless source of inspiration. They had to make yeasted and non yeasted flatbreads. Naan is yeasted which I was unaware of until I tried to make it.
We’re already addicted to it, so I’m sure I’ll be making more soon!
I looked at several different Garlic Butter Naan recipes online and I decided on trying the naan recipe on Host the Toast blog. Other recipes had a longer rising time, or there were several extra ingredients added. I think this was one of the most basic naan recipes. I’d rather start basic and then experiment from there. This recipe was still ridiculously delicious and it’s very easy to make!
The only adaptations I made to the naan recipe were to replace the dairy ingredients with dairy-free ingredients. Dairy and I don’t mix so I used dairy-free butter and coconut milk yogurt.
I started with letting my yeast foam up in water and sugar. Then the yeast went into my milk and yogurt and that all got poured into the dry ingredients. I kneaded for a few minutes, then let the dough rise in a greased bowl for an hour.
After letting it rise, I cut the dough into equal sized pieces. I rolled one piece at a time out and heated up a skillet. Then I brushed the rolled out dough with some butter and plopped it into the heated skillet. Once it started bubbling I flipped it. After another minute, it was finished.
Fresh naan served hot is the most delicious thing in the world. The
yogurt and milk added into this recipe make the cooked bread super soft.
As always, let me know what you think in the comments with a rating and review. I would love to hear your feedback and your comments help other people to see my blog so thank you. Tag me on social media too @withlovemelissashop.
Take a look at my shop page to see all the lovely things I sell. I have a whole range of instant downloads and merchandise, so there’s something for everyone.
Look at other ways you can support me that are not monetary related here. Any way you can support me means the world because it allows me to do what I love!
Garlic Buttered Naan
- ¼ Cup Water, warm
- 1 Tbsp Sugar
- 1 Package (2.5 Tsp) Active Dry Yeast
- ¾ Cup Light Coconut Milk
- ¾ Cup Plain Coconut Milk Yogurt
- 4 Cups All-Purpose Flour
- 1 Tsp Salt
- 8 Tbsp (1 Stick) Dairy Free Butter, melted for brushing
- 4 Cloves Garlic, minced
- Combine yeast, sugar and water in small bowl. Let sit until foamy, about 5-10 minutes. In stand mixer, combine salt and flour. Once yeast is ready, add milk and yogurt to the yeast mixture. Pour all wet ingredients into dry ingredients and beat together with dough hook until it's formed into a ball of dough.
- Take the dough out of the bowl. Hand knead on a lightly floured surface about 3-4 minutes, then place in a greased bowl and cover with a damp towel. Let rise for one hour in a warm, dry place.
- Cut dough into 12 equal sized portions and roll into balls. Preheat a skillet on medium heat. Roll out first ball and brush with melted butter. Place in skillet. Once it starts bubbling, flip over. There should be some dark spots. It should cook in about 2 minutes on each side. Stack cooked pieces on plate and cover with a towel to keep warm.
- When ready to eat, mix remaining melted butter and minced garlic together. Brush onto naan. Enjoy!