Next in my MacraMay series is an easy Mermaid Tail Macrame Keychain! It’s a lovely little keychain that you can use to decorate your purse, car keys…anything!
The Youtube video is below along with step-by-step pictures on how to make this cutie.
Macrame Keychain Supplies
There are very few supplies for this craft. That’s one of the things that makes macrame even better, all you really need is string and scissors!
Here’s the little list of supplies and I linked what I used myself.
You can do this craft with a single color of string if you prefer and of course you can do whatever color you want! It doesn’t have to be brown and green and like mine.
Macrame Keychain Knots
There are 3 knots you will be doing for this craft: Lark’s Head Knot, Double Half Hitch Knot, and Wrapped Knot in that order.
I have a video for basic macrame knots that includes the Lark’s Head Knot and the Wrapped Knot if you want to take a peek at that video as well!
Macrame Keychain Directions
Here are step-by-step instructions with pictures on how to make my mermaid tail macrame keychain. I recommend watching the youtube video below if you aren’t familiar with the knots for this craft.
1. Gather your supplies! You need 3 four-foot strings and 1 eighteen-inch string. 2 long strings are brown and 1 is green. The short string is green.
You will also need a lobster claw clasp.
2. Fold your long strings in half and secure each one onto the clasp using the lark’s head knot.
3. Tape down the clasp onto your work surface.
4. Focus on the three left strings. Take the left most string and hold over the other two and knot in two double half hitch knots.
I recommend watching the video for this!
5. Do the same thing on the right side. Take the right most string and hold it over the other two and knot two double half hitch knots.
6. Do one half hitch knot using the two middle strings to secure the first row.
Knot 10 more rows for 11 rows total.
7. For the last row, do the first double half hitch knot on the left side as normal. Then do the second double half hitch knot over both strings.
Do this with the other side as well. Do not do the single half hitch knot in the middle.
8. Do a wrapped know to finish off the keychain. Put the string in a U shape and then wrap around.
9. Put the string through the loop and pull the top string up to secure the knot.
Cut the top string leftover from the wrapped knot.
10. Cut off the end to the length you want.
TIP! Put the green string in the middle to get a chevron effect.
If you are not familiar with these knots, I highly recommend watching the video below. It is super helpful to watch someone do it. That is how I learned to macrame!
Please Comment and Share!
As always, let me know what you think in the comments with a rating and review. I would love to hear your feedback and your comments help other people to see my blog so thank you! Tag me on social media too @withlovemelissashop.
You’ll love what’s in my shop, check that out too! I have a whole range of instant downloads and merchandise, all outdoorsy, cute or bookish!
Look at other ways you can support me that are not monetary related here. Any support you can give means the world because it allows me to do what I love!
You might also like the other posts in my MacraMay series: Basic Macrame Knots and Macrame Plant Hanger.